Thursday, September 15, 2016

The Escape

by: Jessica Lewis

I sit here day after day, 
Watching the laughing monsters. 
These monsters hide beneath their extravagant disguises. 
They say that they are teenage girls yet they are so inhuman. 

One by one I have had to watch friends disappear into their trap. 
Their sticky, dirty fingers covered in the filth of lies and deception 
Pull them in and never loosen their grasp. 

Here in the courtyard all I see is hideous faces, 
Trampling feet. 
So I close my eyes and reimagine the world. 
I picture the flowing field surrounding me
As I lay down in the knee high blades of grass for my refuge. 

The world went in slow motion 
As a butterfly landed on my nose. 
There was so much sunshine embodied in this tiny creature. 

With no time to relax, 
The school bell rings. 
Though faint and distant, 
It pulled me back into reality. 

Sadly, the show in my head was over, 
There was no standing ovation.

No comments:

Post a Comment